A couple of weeks ago I logged onto my email and found a message there from Simon R - a subscriber to my youtube channel and a long-time Protein Pow fan. "I've recently taken the plunge and started a youtube protein and diet cooking channel and would love to do a guest post on your site," he wrote. Needless to say I was intrigued so I checked out his channel and wrote back with "what do you have in mind?" He gave me four guest-post recipe options: "A Lemon and Vanilla Protein Cake, Lemon and Poppy Seed muffins, Triple Chocolate Protein Crownies, and a Zesty Blueberry cake." I picked the lemon cake! And awesomeness followed :-))))) Here's Simon's recipe and his video at the bottom of this post! THANK YOU SIMON!!!!
The recipe I've made today is called a Zesty Lemon and Vanilla Cake. When you add the acidic lemon juice to the baking soda, an amazing sciency thing happens and causes a reaction and little bubbles start to appear and you'll even see a little fizzle here and there!! This creates a lovely crunchy crackly top whilst protecting the middle and keeping the rest of the cake moist and airy and just amazing!
It tastes lovely hot but unlike other protein heavy recipes it remains moist for about two days!! Ok! Let's do this:
60g vanilla whey
140g oat flour
1tsp baking soda
120g egg whites (or 4 egg whites)
2 lemons, zest and juice
160g Total 0% Greek yoghurt
1. Preheat oven to 175c or 350f
2. Combine the whey, oat flour and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Mix it all up!
3. Add the egg whites, greek yoghurt and water.
4. Grate the zest of the 2 lemons in, then squeeze all their juice in too!
5. Mix everything together and watch the bubbles and fizz appear!
6. Pour mixture into a lined baking tin and place in oven for 20-22 mins until slightly browned on top and toothpick comes out just clean
Macros per 1/9th cake (sliced 3x3):
Macros per whole cake: